Friday, February 1, 2013

One Year Anniversary

On January 5, 2013, it was my one year activation anniversary.  I had the best of intentions to write an entire post about the year's journey.  Not going to happen!  Instead I am just going to put links of the journey so that anyone interested can just click and read on what they want to read.

Surgery

Activation Day

My husband's version of activation day

The hardest phase of being newly activated

Back to work

Hearing human again

Hearing test at 2 months post activation

3 months out

8 months post activation

The benefits of a CI to a mom


2 comments:

Alita said...

Hi Kristel,

My name is Graciela, and live far away in Argentina. I have a severe hearing loss. It was not so severe when I was a child, I started to wear HA ‘s at 18, when I started the university. I don't know how I did before I only know I was lucky and had wonderful people around me that helped me out. My parents were never too aware of my loss (discovered when I was 6 by chance, they said I got distracted easily...). And the fact they were not aware might have helped me, because I wasn’t aware of my loss either and struggled so hard to outperform myself. I love English language and decided to be a translator, I'm very happy with my professional life (although I could have been less stubborn and chosen a less demanding profession). Now I have reached a point, a decision point: my doctor is strongly suggesting that I should receive a cochlear implant. Social life, telephones, even listening to English has becine too hard for me. Nobody clearly understands how I speak but I tell them that I use my brain. The loss is deepening, but I am 55 and not so sure about the implant. That’s why I visited your blog, searching information of people with similar issues, and how they do now, how they did the rehab period, how long it took. I hope you’ll see this message, and any advice regarding web sites to check, visit, and so on will be greatly appreciated. Curiosity: I spend hours and hours at my computer investigating subjects and terminology for my work, but do you know I haven’t too much information about CI… Thank you Kristel for writing your blog.

Kristel said...

Graciela, I would be happy to talk with you more if you have questions. What is your email address?