Thursday, March 11, 2010

What I Know

I'll admit it. I don't know much about cochlear implants yet. Most of what I know has come from people who have been anti implants. My deaf ASL teacher at BYU would tell us horrible stories of babies being implanted by this terrible technology that they could never remove from their brains. Family members often mention that getting implanted means you can never have an MRI or CT scan, which of course is a problem if any health issues come up. And you hear about the people who regret having it done. Who feel it didn't work for them. And then there's the scary idea of having all your remaining hearing killed when you get implanted.

Thankfully the last two years, I've interacted with several people who LOVE their implants. None of them regret it. They speak of how well they can hear AFTER rehabilitation. They all recommend cochlear implants.

I just started doing some research finally. I found out there is a way to have an MRI. So much for that myth.

No comments: