Thursday, February 18, 2010

Children

It's no secret that bearing children has taken a toll on my hearing. A big toll. I've started the process of getting new hearing aids. Part of the process is meeting with a bunch of professionals- ENT's, audiologists, etc. Each one, after finding out that pregnancy and childbirth impacts my hearing, asks me if I am done having children. Some people think it's inappropriate for them to ask me this. And it probably is. But they have a glimmer of understanding. They know how a hearing loss impacts every single area of life. They know somewhat the incredible risks I am taking in bringing children to this earth.

But the only way I can answer that question is this:

Have you met my children? If you have, you wouldn't be asking me if they are worth the risk. If you haven't, I promise you are missing out.

No comments: