Monday, May 7, 2012

Newest Map

I've lost count of what map I'm on.  That's probably a good sign.  I'm settling into a bionic life very nicely.  Yesterday I met up with both my auditory therapist and my audiologist.  They danced an intricate dance and it was so fun to observe.  Susan (the therapist) would test me on some words, particularly focusing on the vowels that challenge me.  Then Anne (the audi) would make a tweak on my map with her computer software.  My CI would reset and Susan would test me some more.  They went back and forth for a long time.  Some of the changes made sound worse and less human so they just kept working until their voices sounded clear and until I started passing more tests.  Anne was surprised at how much the final map was different from the last one.  Apparently the pregnancy hormone wreaked havoc on my implant too.  It's so interesting that hormones could affect a foreign device in my head.  But that's just another testament that hormones wreak HAVOC.  An interesting side note, but I recently found out that most research is done on male mice.  Why is that?  Because the hormonal cycle of female mice throws the research off.  Hah!  Anyways..... being pregnant and then not did away with some of the fine tuning on my last map.  So loving that no matter what my hormones do I can ALWAYS go get a new map!

I've gotten behind on rehab these last few weeks.  But I'm getting back on track.  Still listening to the book "Think and Grow Rich" on the ipod.  I have never read it before but the more I listen to it, the more I comprehend. 

Random side note, but I feel like there's been an expectation creeping up on me that I should understand all speech.  I don't know if it's me putting this on myself or if it's from others.  If it's me, I need to reframe.  If it's others, I need to educate.  I'm doing awesome but my version of awesome and a hearing person's version of awesome is completely different.  So those who know me well, just know I'm still going to ask  you to repeat yourself.  A lot.  Hang in there with me :)  I promise, I'm working on it!

2 comments:

Aaron and Emily said...

Some people just really mumble. All the time. No one can understand them!

Lucky to be the mom said...

All those things we blame on hormones...they're real, 100% real and we're amazing women because we deal with the ebbs and flows constantly! So validated!

About mumbling - and more validation :) The speech software used for dictation, notation, etc., has a very hard time 'recognizing' a certain someone's words because that certain someone doesn't enunciate well...Yup, validation! Yes, mumble, mumble.

You're doing great! Never apologize for asking someone to repeat themselves! (or maybe I should be apologizing too....)