Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Pool

Recently I got an email from Cochlear stating that it was safe to wear the processor when near water and that it's just fine to be splashed.  As long as you don't swim underwater with the implant, it's water resistant.  The email had an example of a woman who wore her implant to water aerobics.  I've always had to take my hearing aids out when swimming and have always felt very vulnerable in the water.  I spend all of my energy looking for visual cues constantly as I can not rely on any auditory cues.  I was excited to get this email and learn about what you could do with the processor.

So I thought I would try it out.  I've now taken the kids swimming twice at our HOA pool and have worn the CI.  Holy Cow!  Water sounds beautiful.  Splashing water doesn't sound all that great.  But gliding water sounds wonderful!  It sounds peaceful and calming.  And the bubbling water in the hot tub from the jets sounds pretty great too.

It was amazing to hear my kids play in the water.  I was thrilled to hear their laughter as they splashed each other and to hear them call out "mommy, watch me" when doing something funny.  For the rest of my life, I will be able to hear the sounds of the swimming pool.  I will be able to communicate with people.  And eventually Cochlear will make a processor that you can swim underwater in.  I'm so grateful for this amazing technology.  What a blessing that I got it now, when my kids are young.  I'm not going to miss any of their lives and I'm so excited!

I'm really looking forward to the second CI now.  Sounds just get better and better. 

3 comments:

This Place is a Disaster! said...

Inform us how the shower works....doesn't it get pretty wet in there?

Lucky to be the mom said...

More sounds = more memories :) what a delightful addition to memory making! I'm so happy for you!

Evan said...

I'm so happy that you're having all of these new experiences.