Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Suitcase



I don't think I've ever shared pictures of my CI suitcase.  This is what came with my processor when I was activated in January (5 months ago exactly!).  The suitcase has lots of information and equipment and it can be a bit overwhelming to understand how all of it works.  Tonight I attended a meeting with a Cochlear rep to have the suitcase explained.  I had an ulterior motive for attending which I will explain at a later point.  But I'm glad I went because it was really helpful.  One of the things that the rep discussed was how high your sensitivity should be set on your remote.  I keep my sensitivity on a 1 or 2 (out of a scale of 0-20) because upping it causes distortion.  The rep said that audiologists try to keep the level at 12.  Research says at level 12 you can understand what you need to within a large range.  I've never tried to put mine any higher than 5 or 6.  So I thought I would experiment and changed my sensitivity to a 12.  It was distorted for a minute but calmed down.  So I left it on when I came home.  Of course the kids voices drove me crazy.  But I heard my phone chime with a text message from a different room.  It was very clear, as if my phone was right in front of me.  I tell you what, this equipment is so fascinating!  We'll see how long I can stand keeping it at 12!

1 comment:

Lucky to be the mom said...

I'm so behind in blog reading...
This is exciting!