Thursday, February 16, 2012

6 Weeks Post Activation

I know I keep saying this.  And I will probably keep saying this.  This process has been crazy.  So good.  So hard.  So wonderful.  So discouraging.  So humbling.  At the end of the night, I look forward to going silent.  But first thing next morning, I look forward to sound.

I'm starting to gain more confidence in some settings.  When I am at Walgreens, I can talk to the store clerks without too much difficulty.  I can now walk into work without my assistive listening device on and can communicate with the secretaries without it on.  I still use it for my sessions because I just want to make sure I am understanding everything that is being said.  Just 6 weeks ago, I wouldn't dare even walk into the building without my device on.  I noticed I am starting to initiate more conversations.  All progress.

With my direct connect audio cable, I can listen to audio books on Evan's ipod and probably understand about 60% without having to follow along in the book. 

Evan expressed concern that things would become so noisy for me that it would be harder to "hear" inspiration.  I'm happy to say that I very much still feel close to God.  I feel like I still very much rely on the Spirit to guide me through listening.  I hope I always do.  Though this process has been so up and down, I see God's hand throughout the entire journey.  I'm very grateful.  Very grateful to live in today's time.  Very grateful for a new start in the hearing world.  Very grateful for all the patience and love and support people have shown me.  And very grateful for all of the sound.

1 comment:

Lucky to be the mom said...

And I keep saying this: I love that you're sharing this process! It's fascinating, exciting - yea for medical technology!
Hearing and "hearing" - I so understand!
Thanks again for sharing :)