Friday, February 10, 2012

Happy Friday

Though I am feeling a bit worn out from listening, I noted some signficant progress today during my rehab exercises.  A seal now sounds like a seal, instead of thunder.  A lawn mower now sounds like a lawn mower instead of a dentist's drill.  And happily, I got 16 melodies right out of 16.  Just because I wanted to compare, I took off my processor for part of my exercises and put in my hearing aid to listen to some of the music.  Oh my gosh.  This CI is doing way more for me than I have been giving it credit for lately.  With the hearing aid only, there was almost no melody at all.  Took the hearing aid off again and put on the CI, the melody came back almost fully.  My first day of rehab, I think I did not get any of the melodies right at all.  That's a lot of progress in 5 weeks.

In real life, I am also noticing improvements.  Today I went to a fantastic two hour training on attachment (for work).  For the first time in years, I attempted to hear the training without an assistive listening device. I succeeded :) :) :)  Well, most of the training.  A man spoke for about 20 minutes and I have no clue what he said.  But to understand an hour and forty minutes of it without the contego made me super happy.

There are, of course, areas that I am not doing well in at all.  Last night Evan took me to see 29 Steps at the Hale Center theatre.  He didn't realize it would be British accents.  I pretty much missed the whole play as the actors were all over the place so I could not read lips either.  But that's okay.  It was after a long day of listening at work and my brain can only do so much these days.  We are hopeful that we will be able to attend a play one day and I will be able to get more out of it.  A for effort!

And last but not least, I really feel like I am adjusting to the kids.  I do not feel as stressed listening to their noises around the clock.  So yeah, it's a happy friday!

2 comments:

Lucky to be the mom said...

A happy Friday, indeed! We're going to see the play tonight...I didn't know it was going to be in British accents :( Ugh, I do not do well - and I'm a Shakespeare!
I am SO happy for you. This time has really been relatively short though I'm sure it's felt like an eternity. You're making tremendous progress!
Happy, happy, happy!

Lucky to be the mom said...

Ok, totally loved the play and I can't imagine that you caught any of it! The pace was incredible, the story line was mega fast, the sound effects were amazing (we sat next to the guy doing the sound effects) but I kept 'watching through your ears' - WOW! A for effort and when in comes around again in a few years, give it another try, it really was fantastic, especially if you're at all familiar with Alfred Hitchock stuff...you're a trooper. I think i would have unplugged myself :)