Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Children's Voices

I haven't taught joy school since just before my surgery in December.  If you remember from that time, it was not pleasant.  The lovely moms I work with have stepped in for me and pulled my share of the load while I've been recovering and rehabbing.  I went back today and we had a GREAT morning.  Of the four kids that were there, I heard the girls well and I heard one of the boys well.  But the other boy.........poor kid had to repeat himself at least 8 times every time he said something.  When I taught before, I would look to my daughter to help me interpret the other kids.  I don't want to do that again.  Ever.  Though I want her to have empathy and patience and all the good characteristics, I don't want her to feel responsible for me.  So this little boy was incredibly patient but I just couldn't understand most of what he said.  Hopefully that will get better!

I've noticed after my last map that I'm hearing my son better.  He also would have to repeat himself a lot or show me or give me a sign for me to understand him.  But now it seems that at least half the time I can understand him on the first try.  Granted, he speaks like a two year old, lots of gibberish.  So I don't expect to understand that.  But I sure love hearing his requests for water or snacks or play time or story time.

My daughter's voice is sounding really good to me. Still not completely human.  I don't know if voices will ever sound totally human again.  She speaks very clearly and very attentively.  For the most part we are having grand conversations :)

My kids are my motivation to keep plugging away at rehab.  I'm so very grateful that our communication is improving.  So grateful. 

No comments: