Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Decision Made

Many people have asked if I am getting one implant or two (bilateral).  My insurance, by miracle, approved two.  However, they also say that our out pocket maximum ($2,000) does not apply to cochlear implants.  Yesterday we found out what our copay would be.  About $3,000 for one.  About $23,000 for two.  After much research, thought, discussion and prayer, my husband and I decided to get two.  Basically the price for two is less than what we thought we would have to pay for one.  And the benefits to having "surround sound" are huge.  And we feel that financially, this is our best chance.   And the surgical center will set up a payment plan with us so we do not have to pay it all up front.  My sweet husband says he'll sell his truck if he has too, he wants me to have the benefit of both ears.  There are some downsides.  I will not have any residual hearing during the time between surgery and activation.  Being totally deaf for 4-6 weeks without being able to use hearing aids or other assistive listening devices is not exactly appealing.  This means we will be without my income for at least that long.  And of course with double the surgery, it's double the recovery.  But the decision was made last night.  Bilateral it is.

This morning, the surgical center called and it appears we qualify for financial assistance, bringing the out of pocket expenses probably under $10,000.  Dude.  Talk about the miracles lining up this month.  So, this reaffirmed our decision that bilaterals is the way to go.

Also this morning, the surgeon's office called me and asked me to come in as soon as I could this morning.  Bundled up the kids, stopped Evan mid project and we all jumped in the van and drove to Salt Lake.  Doc wanted to discuss all the test results and discuss our decision to get bilateral implants.  He shared with us the risks that are involved with surgery.  As we are doubling the surgery, we are doubling the risk.  However, the risks are small.  And he will first operate on my right ear, which is the worst ear, if any problems occur, he will not operate on the second.  So I feel the risk is minimal compared to the positive outcomes.

Doc wanted me to get a CT scan.  That was most definitely the easiest procedure/evaluation of all of them thus far!!  Took maybe a minute and it was painless, no discomfort and I didn't have to hear.  Whoo hoo!  It was actually kind of cool to see my skull in pictures.  Now I know I have one for sure.  Hahaha.  The Doc showed me where he would be drilling into the bones and where he would be threading the wires.  Not exactly pleasant to picture my skull being drilled.  It's a good thing others have done this before.  Thousands and thousands of others.  I do not feel like I am a guinea pig.  I feel like this is a safe, reliable, amazing practice that many people have proven to do well with.

I received my hospital instructions.  Is this really real????  I can't quite seem to grasp that a week from today, I will be bionic!  My sweet little girl, after meeting the doctor that is going to "help mommy hear better" asked me "Can you hear me better yet?"  Hahaha.  I am so excited that one day soon I will be able to answer her question positively-- "Yes, my dear, I CAN hear you better and it's just going to get better and better."

3 comments:

Evan said...

Received word that our financial assistance may cover more than 70% if not ALL! Hopefully we'll get word on that later today or tomorrow.

Barb said...

That is SO awesome about the finances! This is so cool. I also am excited for you to be able to hear your sweet little kids voices better. :)

ely said...

That is wonderful, though I don't know much about the procedure, I agree getting both now is better than maybe one day wishing you had gotten two instead of one..
I hope things work out financially... wish we could help!
I told Erin yesterday, she said she's really excited for you!