Wednesday, December 21, 2011

God's Plan For Us

Well we are safely home and Kristel is all snug in bed resting. She was able to eat a few saltine crackers and some water to take some pain meds, but soon became wide awake where at the hospital and on the way home she tried, but couldn't. I guess the anesthesia are finally wearing off. Kristel was able to read all of my text messages that I'd sent out to the family and the previous blog posts.

When I went to see Kristel in the recovery room, the first thing she asked me was, "why one?" Meaning, obviously, why only one implant. She was very groggy and totally out of it and didn't want to overwhelm her so I waited for the doctor and for her to wake a little more. When the doctor did come in, he explained everything to her and the difficulties of the surgery. He said it was a combination of her anatomy and his technique. From what I gathered, he did the surgery a different way than the traditional way, which tries and saves some of the residual hearing and not having such a large incision. He admitted his mistakes that were done and how he was able to "figure it out" the third time around...which solidifies my belief of his inexperience.

Leave it to Kristel to look for a Higher meaning of why things went down the way they did. She told me that she felt everything went exactly as it was supposed to. She continued to say even though that our doctor was young and inexperienced he was supposed to perform the surgery. For some reason Kristel needed him and he needed Kristel. Then she gave me some insight that I hadn't thought of before. She said, "I am SO THANKFUL that we were approved and decided upon the bilateral implants because we had a total of four devices [a backup for each ear]. If we had only decided on one implant initially, he would've messed up the one and the back up leaving me without an implant!"

One of the things that attracted me to Kristel so many years ago was her spirituality and ability to feel God's guiding hand in her life. I have no doubt that God is and was fully aware of what did and is going to happen, and such, laid out a plan to have it work out for Kristel to have at least one implant. She feels that she was only meant to have one and it worked out according to God's plan. I am thankful that there was no damage to the facial nerve or otherwise and trust God that she will have a speedy and healthy recovery.

4 comments:

Evan said...

On a side note, having only one implant is A LOT less expensive. I was pretty stressed out there on the upcoming financial liability, but now I can rest a little easier.

Hayley said...

Kristel I love your positive attitude! You are so wonderful. I am continually thinking and praying for you and your fam! We all miss you at work, and just love you to pieces :)

Loni said...

Evan, thank you for updating us on how the surgery went! Kristel, we are all so glad that you are doing well and the surgery went well. Love your positive attitude and confidence in Heavenly Father's plan for you. Enjoy your time off!

Love ya!

Melinda Buchanan-Emery said...

you are amazing, dear kristel! we've been thinking about you lots and praying for you lots too. thanks for the updates from evan... i'm so glad you have him! SO much love coming your way.