Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Surgery Update

Hello. It's me Evan again. I just got done talking with the doctor and there were some complications inserting the implant into her right ear. There was a total of four implants, two for each ear in case of any problems. Two of the implants were damaged when trying to insert them. The third was able to go in just fine and is currently being tested. All is well with that one and Kristel is also doing well. Since there is only one more implant device left, without another backup, the doctor wants to play it safe and only do the one ear. He said it is possible to still do the other ear a few months down the road, but that won't be an option since our insurance runs out at the end of the month. My new insurance provider that we're forced to change to with my employer doesn't cover cochlear implants.

The doctor explained that the initial problem was that the drilled hole wasn't large enough and the cochlea was in a different position than normal I guess. Not sure how the implants became damaged. So the surgery took twice as long as planned and should have been done with both ears at this point. I am just glad Kristel is doing fine and the implant in the one ear is also doing fine.

The doctor is stitching her up and will dress the bandages and will soon be in recovery. She'll be in recovery for at least an hour before going home. There may be a possibility she may need to stay overnight, but don't think it will happen. If we do go home tonight, the doctor wants to see her in his clinic tomorrow.

On a side note, the doctor seemed really nervous and almost shaky to a point when talking to me. I probably would be too, but I don't know how he does what he does! I certainly wouldn't be able to...but it made me question his experience with this procedure and am not too fond of the possible "educational/learning" surgery for the doctor (i.e. that's good to know for next time).

Just got done visiting with the doctor again. Kristel is in recovery and awake and responsive. I will be going to see her soon. More to come...

2 comments:

ely said...

I don't understand, if there were 4 implants, 2 damaged, and one in correctly, why didn't they give the remaining one a try on the other ear?

Kristel said...

Too risky. Surgery for one ear was 6 hours, twice what it should have been. Had he attempted left ear, would have been out too long and if device got damaged, my head would be exposed with no device for it. All not worth the risk.