Sunday, January 22, 2012

Adjusting

I started making progress again on Friday night.  Hooray!!  Evan was helping me with some listening exercises and he was happy with how much better I did with them compared to Wednesday!  I was able to advance some more in therapy yesterday also.  My therapist covers her mouth and says words, phrases and sentences.  I have to say out loud what I think I heard.  Often it makes absolutely no sense but it leads me to eventually getting it right.  The hardest letter for me right now is a.  Through an implant, a doesn't sound like a.  It sounds like ehhhhhhhhhh. 

This weekend has been pretty good, though of course Church was hard.  I just LOVE the women in my ward (local congregation).  They are so loving and so patient.  They have done so much for me these past couple of months.  One, in particular, led the efforts to raise funds for flowers and gifts for me during my recovery.  Another helped with the kids on countless occassions.  Many have prayed for me and have become invested in my journey.  How grateful I am for each of them!  I am so amazed that this journey has led me to strengthen relationships.  I am excited to connect more with people instead of shying away from all things social.

Oh, and a great moment!  When I left the therapist's office yesterday and got in my car, it was raining.  I just sat in my car and started listening to the rain.  Rain has always just been noise these last few years, nothing clear about it.  But as I listened, I could hear individual drops of rain.  Lots of them.  It was like each drop made an individual sound and together it sounded like multi-drops.  So fun!!

1 comment:

Lucky to be the mom said...

I love the rain! I'm super behind in reading your journey so you'll get a zillion comments today as I catch up :)
I was at the temple on Claire's birthday (Jan 13th) and I came up to two temple workers who were talking about something obviously exciting...as the one sister took me aside she told me that her husband had a cochlear implant a year ago and it has changed his life! She was so full of gratitude - it made me cry and I told her about you. She urged you to be patient and how wondrous the days ahead would be. So sweet!