Thursday, January 19, 2012

Breakthroughs Cut Short

Last Sunday, all of a sudden, the kids voices became tolerable.  Women's voices started to sound like women.  And Men's voices almost started to sound good.  Monday and Tuesday were GREAT days.  I was able to up the volume on the remote and tolerated the loudness levels.  I felt like I was doing well with rehab.  It took almost two weeks since activation, but it finally seemed all my rehab was paying off.  The bells seemed to be dropping off.

Then came Wednesday and a new mapping.  Oy.  Everything is all crazy again.  Well, I am exaggerating.  Not everything.  Just voices.  Kids are super high pitched again.  Women and Men's voices, I don't even know how to explain.  I can't.  I just don't have the words in my vocabularly.  Not bells.  Maybe robots talking into a microphone 3 football fields away while I am standing right next to a mega speaker.  So it's going to take some new adjustments.  My next mapping is the 30th.  My brain has hurt since yesterday.  This is hard work.  However, it's so worth it!  I'm so grateful for the little miracles every day. 

I heard Aleah ask me a question through a closed door yesterday.  I mean, really?  Who ever would have thought I could have done that.  I'm hearing the electronics in the household beep and chime.  We sure have a lot of electronics!!  I can hear Joshua start to cry from his bedroom when I am in the office.  Before it would take me 20 minutes of him crying before I understood he was crying.  Now it's like "WAH" right in my head as soon as he starts. 

2 comments:

Lundin Family said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us Kristel. I love reading your blog. You always have been an inspiration to me!

Lucky to be the mom said...

Amazing. I'm loving this journey - thank you for sharing it, every word of it.
Speech therapists are incredible, aren't they? As are all therapists :) I love each specialized field, the expertise...OT's fascinate me :) PT's have SAVED me more than once.