Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 12 Post Surgery

I am doing so much better!!  I still have to take a lot of breaks and am not yet back to a full routine, but am feeling almost normal again.  Today, I went on my 3rd outing (first was the dr, second was cafe rio, today was to church) and lasted about an hour and a half.  After coming home and resting a bit, I am feeling so good.

Many are asking me if I am hearing better yet.  Obviously I am not doing that great of a job of explaining what a cochlear implant does.  It is not an instant cure.  I will always be deaf, at least in mortality.  But with a cochlear implant (CI), I will be hearing impaired.  A CI has to be activated before any sounds are heard.  Activation is this Thursday for me.  But even once it's turned on, I will not just start hearing.  I will start hearing sounds through a computer inside my head.  Thus, all the sounds will be mechanical or digital.  It could take weeks or months before my brain adjusts and turns those sounds into recognition.  I am expected to work on listening rehabilitation exercises between 30-60 minutes every single day for the first year.  The implant team feels it's realistic that I can one day hear on the phone again.  So that is my goal.  2012 will most definitely be a journey for me, a journey to sound instead of increased silence.  However, will all the work in the world, I will still have a hearing loss.  I will still need accommodations.  I am really hoping that I'll be able to function well in church and work without assistive listening devices, but I just don't know yet how probable that is.

The benefit of only having my right ear implanted is that I still have some hearing in my left ear.  Aided, I am doing pretty well right now with hearing what I need to hear.  Of course, I lip read like no tomorrow so that is helping too.  Though I didn't do very well in Sacrament meeting today.  The comtek (my assistive listening device) doesn't seem to work with the sound system anymore.  I need to check into that.  Anyways.... I believe that once my implant is activated, that I'll have to wear it without my left hearing aid in so that I can properly train my brain while I am doing rehabilitation.  But my guess is that in general, I will continue to wear my left hearing aid, thus making me "bi-modal." 

Four more days to go!  I am really excited.  And super curious what my first day of bionic sound will be like.

5 comments:

Etts a Beautiful Life said...

Kristel, you have done a great job of explaining...I think people just don't know how to ask how you are. I heard someone ask you if you were hearing yet on Sunday and it made me cringe for you...if only it would be that easy! I'm sure when people say things like that it just makes you realize how much you have ahead of you and I'm sure you are tired of explaining to everyone. But, I'm also sure you know that people mean well.

I was really impressed to see you at church on Sunday, knowing that you would probably have virtually no hearing during the meeting. However, I think just through the act of going to church, even when the music kills you're head and you don't get anything from the speakers, just through the simple act of going, God will bless you with the Spirit anyway. I'm sure you know that. I look up to you in many ways! Love you.

Barb said...

I am glad you are feeling/doing better!

Hayley said...

Cafe rio is definitely a priority. And church, too;) happy to hear youre doing so great!

Daniela said...

Everything happens for a reason - glad you are at peace with having the one implant. And that left hearing aid must be making life a bit easier for you at the moment! Wishing you all the very best for Thursday - going to be an unforgettable day for you!! Enjoy!!

Lucky to be the mom said...

I admit, I'm better at reading than I am at commenting! The implant process is one that I have been fascinated with for some time - but have never known anyone well enough to REALLY know the process/benefits/adjustments, etc., I'm excited for the possibilities for you. I cannot imagine not hearing - my family has been 'blessed' with the opposite - our hearing is so acute that it is often painful. We should share, yeah?
xoxo
Denise