Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 2 Post Activation

This CI is going to rock my world.  But, oh, it's making my brain work harder than it's ever worked before.  I'm actually proud of my brain.  Whoever heard of such a thing?  I worked on rehab for several hours today and already, I'm hearing a difference in some of the exercises.  Yay brain!

My CI moments of the day: hearing the water boil (I loved it, it was a great sound), identifying a noise as Joshua humming, finding the kids getting into something they shouldn't be (this is going to be a good skill for me, bummer for them, haha), and identifying that Mickey Mouse Clubhouse changed from speech to music when my eyes were closed.

The hardships of the day: the kids voices.  Oy, they are awful.  High pitched bells going off in my head all day long.  Ding a ling a ling a ling a ling a ling a ling.  All day.  Whew.  I'm so determined to adjust to their little voices that I don't want to take off the processor for a listening break.  All this racket going on makes for a very exhausted mama!  When I need to regain some sense of sound control, I go listen to my bathroom clock.  It's tick.....tick....tick.....tick stabilizes me.  Even though I heard it for the first time yesterday, it's become a fast friend.

I have the computer software from Cochlear called Sound and WAY Beyond.  It's fantastic.  I'm happy with my progress thus far.  I passed levels 1 on all but melody.  Granted there are tons of levels so it's not all that great.  But hey, it is all that great!!  I'm not lipreading and I've got bells sounding alarms in my head but I still passed level 1.

3 comments:

Barb said...

I love how you heard Joshua humming!

Hayley said...

I'm so happy for you Kristel. It will only get better!

Lucky to be the mom said...

It's interesting to me that you're exhausted from all the brain work...something I've believed in for a long time but never have I had it described so precisely! The constant stimulus, the compensation for that stimulus IS exhausting! You're making me feel very validated :)

In reading your journey I'm ever grateful for the good that comes with the frustration - there's nothing sweeter than hearing your child quietly humming - or too quietly doing something they shouldn't be :)

xoxo