Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sizzling Beef

It's the end of another long and wonderful and difficult day.  Day 3 on the activation journey.  Today I was reminded of winter sounds.  Crunching the snow.  The scrape of the snow shovel.  The wind.  But especially amazing was playing in the snow with the kids and understanding Aleah call to me from across the field.  It sounded like "momlingalingcomedingherelingaling."  I asked her if she said "mom, come here."  She said yes!

Some interesting sounds are the chaffing sound of  skin.  I can't explain it.  If you rub your hands together, it sounds like chaffing.  And washing the kids hair tonight sounded similar.  While Evan and I were getting ready for the day, I heard an odd noise and looked around to find it's source.  It was Evan putting gel in his hair.  I just really had no idea how many sounds have been missing from my ears for such a long time.

And I think I discovered a new skill.  While cooking ground beef I wondered how it would sound through a CI.  There was so much background noise with the kids (seriously, when they are talking, the bells are going crazy in my head and I can't focus on any other sound) that I couldn't hear the meat.  Just using my mind, I tried tuning out the kids bell voices and the barbie movie bell voices and just focus on the meat.  Pretty soon I started hearing a "ssssizzz."  The more I focused the more pronounced it became.  Eventually it became very obvious that ground beef sizzles quite loudly.  I am pretty sure that right up to surgery, I could hear ground beef sizzling.  But it was distorted sound.  Today, it SIZZLED.  The experience of tuning into it made me think once again that the brain is amazing.  To focus in and out of sound using your mind is an incredible ability! 

Some sounds are painful to listen to, they are like nails on the chalkboard disturbing.  One is paper or plastic rustling.  The other is the toilet flushing.  So interesting.   Tomorrow is church.  I'm a little worried about being overwhelmed by sound.  We'll see!

3 comments:

Barb said...

Love hearing about your new sounds!

Etts a Beautiful Life said...

I love you so much! I'm proud of you! It is exciting to hear about the world through your eyes...or ears?

Lucky to be the mom said...

Gel makes a sound? Wow, we tune a lot out...! Church...that's why I like the front row, not because I read lips but because I can't focus on the speakers with all the distractions between me and them if I'm not in front!
Yup, you're doing amazing things...and I love reading about every little step, every awareness, every sound you hear that you missed and the ones you'd like to keep silent :) (OH, the TV background noise makes me bonkers!) Yes, I have the opposite problem, hyper sensitive hearing...we should join hands :) or ears :)