Thursday, January 19, 2012

Back to Work

Most people who get a CI are back to work within a week or two of surgery.  Most people have jobs where they can still do some work without hearing.  Not I.  Why I chose a field that relies SOLELY on hearing, I have no idea.  But I did.  I had clients scheduled last week but I cancelled them.  I only work two days a week so it's not like I've missed THAT much.  But I was nervous to start back today after my new map yesterday.  I only saw two clients and gave myself 4 hours between them to adjust to the sounds of the office.  My session with my morning client went well, though it took about 150% of energy and employing ALL my accomodations.  Talking with other staff members in the morning went well.  But everything changed in the afternoon.  There were more people, there was more noise and maybe my brain was already tired?  My afternoon session was much harder.  How do I give more than 150% of my energy and accomodations??  I can't.  I pray for mercy.  It was granted.  I felt guidance from above and I made it through and hopefully my client felt it was a productive session.

I just have to give a shout-out to my co-workers.  I was just overcome with emotion today at how absolutely amazing and supportive and loving they all are.  Truly.  I am surrounded by the best of the best.

1 comment:

Lucky to be the mom said...

I believe your clients are probably very understanding, even excited about this process...bless them for being patient and understanding.

I have NO doubt that you're worth waiting for - take the time off you need so you don't self destruct :) You're taking on a LOT!

Many 'high fives' for your staff! This will become routine but until it does it's a massive blessing that you have their support!