Saturday, January 14, 2012

Auditory Therapy

I met with my therapist today for the first time.  She's fantastic!  She quickly identified my problem areas so I know what to focus and work on.  She also gave me a quick hearing test (just tones, not speech).  I was SHOCKED at how beautiful my audiogram looked.  I am totally hearing what I need to be hearing.  Just got to work on making sense of it all.  She said it's a very, very realistic goal to communicate without lip reading.  Such happy news.  I have 3 sessions with her lined up and we'll go from there.

Tonight, while driving, I heard Aleah behind me say "mommy, I want to go out to eat."  I turned around and asked her if she said she wanted to go out to eat.  She nodded and was so happy I heard her :)  Hooray for an understood sentence coming from behind me!

5 comments:

Barb said...

So, did you go out to eat? :-)

Aaron and Emily said...

I always get so excited to read this blog.

Kristel said...

Haha. No, Barb. I'm too cheap to go out to eat spur of the moment without a coupon! But I'll be taking her on a mommy/daughter date soon and will take her out to eat :)

Evan said...

I think we eat out too much when our 3 year old asks us to eat out!

Lucky to be the mom said...

Wahoo!!! She must love that you can hear her too!

I must give my two cents on eating out...it can create amazing family memories that are worth so much more than the money spent. It's something we've done a lot of as a family; now that my family is grown I am so very grateful we did. Of course, some 'eat outs' are better than others...and because of our allergy issues we are picky but you only get one childhood and for our family, eating out has been a sweet part of that childhood. Ok, maybe that was more like twenty-five cents worth :) Now you know, the Ferrins are picky restaurant choosers and they love to eat out...!